Picking the right cause
Hi, I am a person high up in the UNICEF organization and recently, I have been given a task. My task is to pick one global problem and delegate five million dollars to it. I have chosen a few causes and I will present them in this text, ending with my final decision on what cause to pick. My selected causes are; poverty in India, global warming and hunger in Africa.
I will start by debating poverty in India and why I think they should have the money. India has more people living under the poverty limit than any other country in the world. Out of the total one billion people that live in India, 350 – 400 millions live below the limitation, and over 40 percent of the population is illiterate, meaning they have never learned to write or read. Out of these, most are women, tribal people or people from the lower casts. I think that this is really serious and should be done something with. The five millions could contribute with building schools for poor people, which again could give them an education that lasts for the rest of their lives and can grant them jobs and a descent economy. I do take into consideration that five millions is really little money and will help less than one percent of the Indian population to a better life, but everything counts, right?
The reason for why I have chosen school out of all the things one can do to reduce poverty is that in my opinion schools are the most efficient mean when trying to reduce poverty. Firstly, the education you have gotten will follow you for the rest of your life, unless you focus really hard on forgetting it. Therefore it is a good way to reduce poverty not only today, but for the generations to come as well. “If you give a man a fish, he will not be hungry today. If you teach a man how to fish, he will never be hungry". I have heard this quote and what you read is probably a respelling of it that I have made up in my mind but the concept is the same and I think it is a really good example to underline my previous statement about how schools last longer than instant help. My second reason for choosing schools is that it gives the children a safe environment where they can spend the day, instead of being dragged into all kinds of bad environments. Examples of bad environments can be child soldiers or the drug business.
My second cause of choice is global warming. I know it is very different from my first cause, but I think that this one is as important as the first, if not even more important. This is because global warming is an issue concerning the entire world and it will not only have consequences for this generation, it is also going to affect future generations. Many of you might think that this is a bit outside the box, as it is not directly directed towards children, but fact is this is directed to the children's future, which is just as important as their today's situation. This link will show you a graph displaying the northern globe's temperature during the last thousand years and the tendency is brutal and quite easy to spot. The heat levels are escalating way above usual standards and if this tendency continues over the next two or three hundred years I think the globe is going to look a lot different. The problem with giving the money to this cause is deciding on which organization or movement I want to entrust my money with. As it is a global problem, countless organizations must be fighting to reduce it. My best thought is to give it to some sort of research facility, where they experiment on how to reduce global warming and what must be done to stop this negative development.
My third and final cause of choice is “the hunger project”, focusing on hunger in Africa. Food is and has always been one of the most basic needs and when hunger strikes, it often strikes the weakest ones, children. In sub-Saharan Africa, 41 percent of the population lives under the poverty limit, 1 dollar a day, which means that they live so-called from hand to mouth. This means that they can barely make enough money for food, putting them in a tricky situation if they ever should need money for anything else. As a result of this, 32 percent of the population is under-nourished, meaning they get either too little food or the wrong food (Which one is most likely?). Here, five million dollars can do a lot. Either if you spend it all on food sent directly down to Africa, a lot of people will be fed for some time, or you can invest it “in the future”. This can be done by building food producing facilities like farms. This is sort of the same thinking as in the first cause and the quote from that paragraph can just as easily be used in this one. Either way, the five million dollars can hopefully give a handful of people a better life.
So, to my conclusion and picking a cause. I must say it is tough deciding between these but I have chosen the first one, fighting poverty in India. I have done this because I believe that this is where the money can do the most good. Building schools is relatively inexpensive if one consider the outcome. The children will both be able to get an education, and they will also have something to do during the day and have a future to look forward to. I do not say that the two other causes are any less important, but this is the one that made the most sense to me!
Håvard of the UNICEF
Sources:
http://www.indiaonestop.com/povertyindia.htm
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/01-27/global-warming-1000-v3-copyright1.gif
http://www.thp.org/where_we_work/africa
This is really good:) you present three different cases in an objective and informative way where I really got the impression that you've really dug into these subjects.
ReplyDeleteBecause the teacher just said that I should be critical to your article, I'll try to find something wrong in your text, although it's very difficult! I'll pretend I'm a sheikh in India.
Building schools in India will do no good. the women who can't already write or read are destined to stay at home, that's just the way it is. It's our culture, the women stays at home. What I'm trying to say is that India's culture should not be disturbed by so-called helping nations, we've already ruled by GB previously and we're really sick of this. We will not give in to a "superior" country when it's not so long ago that we were ruled by the UK.
Well, I can see your point here, sheikh Rikke, but firstly the schools are not for the women but for children, as I am of the UNICEF (for children).
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I can't possibly see the harm in building schools in your country, what parents would not want their kids to get an education and a shot at a good life. The schools will of course be free and no one will force the children to go there, so look at it as an opportunity, and not something negative!
Let me first say that your text is very nice. I really appreciate your thinking. I agree with you that we should give money to India for children`s education. Education is very important for all children.
ReplyDeleteYes, for hunger strikes food is really/very necessary. I wish that government always helps those people; never let them starve or die due to hunger. It really hurts to see many people dying just because of hunger.
The cildren are not only boys. The girls are destined to stay home, to cook and such.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, it is preventing us from developing on our own. What India needs is trust and time to finish its own projects - we have not yet got the chance to neither start or finish developing projects. We need to do this independantly, bacuse it's a matter of safeguarding our cultural traditions and values.
I can see your point, thank you for your oppinion!
ReplyDeletethank you, come again:) haha
ReplyDeleteWhere is my awesome profile picture?
ReplyDeleteah there it is! :D
ReplyDelete