Poverty vs. Amusement
Have you ever thought, while you were sitting in front of the television watching the Olympics or Eurovision or any sort of popular TV-programs, eating a bunch of unhealthy things, what this little starving and poor child in Africa was doing at that precise moment? People in the Western world are lucky; they can spend a fortune on useless things. While others, in different settings just have to hold their breaths. Fight for their survival, fight for the meal they were supposed to get. I want to fight; I want to fight for their cause. I want to bring awareness to all the clueless souls living as nothing is, or will ever be wrong.
Every forth year, people gather to watch athletes compete at probably the biggest event ever created; the Olympic Games. Every forth year the hosting country is ready to create the biggest happening ever seen. Something bigger, better, more beautiful than ever, that will outdo all the other Olympics seen yet. The citizens are willing to change the totality of the city, from head to toe, just for the Olympics sake; new undergrounds, new stadium, new roads, new everything. With that way of thinking, money goes along, a lot of money. Did you know that the Olympic Games budget for London in 2012 is as high as almost 10 billion pounds? You wouldn’t be able to even count half of all that money in your own lifetime. Do you know of something else you never would be able to count? The number of people living in absolute poverty in this world at this exact moment. All over the internet, pages are showing terrifying high numbers just increasing each day. There are about 1.7 billion human beings living in absolute poverty. Among them, 923 million people are strongly undernourished and starving. The starvation leads often to death. As you read this text, the number of deaths has grown and will continue to grow even more. Sadly, the people most affected are the innocent children. Undernourishment is the leading cause of death in developing countries. There are approximately 22 000 children dying of hunger every day. Witch makes 15 children every minute, and one every forth second. In 2000, the United Nations set up the Millennium Development Goal. Those Goals where created to help poor and needy people in the world. The first goal, of all the eight most important goals, was the intention of eradicate hunger and extreme poverty. According to the UN, this problem is a vast and the most spread issue on earth and it would be the biggest concern to both, the Western and the Eastern world. Today, in a world where problems just piles, there is no time and resources for such expensive distraction as the Olympics or any other costing amusement. With all the money invested in the Olympic Games just for one season (10 000 000 000 £), we could actually afford to give every starving people on the planet 10 £. It would mean two weeks of work to the poorest.
How can as rich countries as England or Norway for that matter, leave this problem without any solution? How can they care to get more unnecessary many fireworks to the gathering, without thinking that this money could help creating a future to one of the kids in Africa? Is it really that difficult to care? Personally, I think it is insane how we, in the Western world, could or would spend as much money on such distraction. It would be okay if the Olympic Games were not that expensive. I think it is unnecessary to build new roads to get access to the new stadium. Why couldn’t the buses or the tubes pass more frequently to the already built stadium? Is it that necessary to give sky high salary to the athletes? Money that will never be spent. Why can’t some of the money be sent to the good cause, to the starving people? These are just some of the questions that I, with all the access to the net and other information, didn’t find the answers that I wanted or will never find either. Probably not in my lifetime, and especially not in theirs either. (Theirs being all the 1.7 billion people living in absolute poverty as I write)
I’ve got to admit that I am a big fan of the Olympics. In comparison to all the famine and poverty in the world, I could easily pass out on this event after seeing how much it really costs. Unfortunately, almost nothing benefiting comes out to fulfill the first goal in the Millennium Goals set by the UN. People are still starving and still living in absolute misery. Therefore it is time to react now, it is not the moment to get distracted, it is primordial, both for the Eastern and the Western world to make a change, now. By the way, did you actually know it took you around 60 children dying for you to read this text?
Good read Elisabeth, you really seem to care about this matter. Could I ask, is there any specific reason why you feel so strongly about this? If not, then I wonder whether you really would be willing to make your own life harder or less exclusive, just because some child in Africa should get some dinner? We are all selfish people who want the best for ourselves, so if you would sacrefice something you have for other people's good, then you have my sincere respect.
ReplyDeleteIt was a good written text Elisabeth, but I'll have to disagree on the ''People in the Western world are lucky; they can spend a fortune on useless things'' I think that people shouldn't buy stuff that are useless, because people in Africa would literally kill someone to have a meal.Sometimes all you need is love and no money can buy that. But a very good text French Guuurl =)
ReplyDeleteIf a may reply to your comment Edvard, I would sencirly boycott the Olympics or/and the ESC because I will always remind myself that I am lucky to be born in the Western world and that I would with open hands offer my help to one of the kids down in Africa because I consider that I am not worth any more than a little starving child in a non-develloped country.
ReplyDeleteAs to Eric, I think that we are lucky because we spend (it's a fact) money on practically usless things evan if the intentions are far from hurting people living in absolute poverty!
Wow.I got chills by that last sentence you wrote!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Edvard. We say we want to help and we get mad at all these big arrangements because they use all these unnecessary money, but are we really any better? Most of us do not donate money or do something to help people in need, we just talk a lot and act like we care. Do YOU care? Do you do anything to help starving people?
I know I don't!
Even though I feel bad I don't do anything big to help other people, I also agree with the fact that humans are selfish. Our instict tells us to think about our self! We are the most important person in our life. We have to take care of our self.
I know that many people might have a little bit too much money and that they do not spend them very wisely. BUT; are we suppose to devote our whole life helping others? What about ourselves?
You are det most important person in your life and that is how it is always going to be whether you believe it or not!
Well then, you are a good person Elisabeth. :) I would be happy to help someone myself, but I'll admit that it would be hard for me to make my own life harder just to save some unknown kid. When you think about how many people die in the world, one life can't matter too much, so why should I waste my well being for someone I don't know?
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I say it clearly in my text. That this essay isn't to try to persuade to give money, because believe it or not I don't. But I say that I want to bring awerness and I think I have made that happened because your first sentence is "Wow.I got chills by that last sentence you wrote!" and that is exactly the reaction I wanted to created. Second of all, I am not tring to persuade you to give any money but to think again when you are looking at the big event, and think over again, was that really necessary?
ReplyDeleteElisabeth:
ReplyDeleteBut everyone in the entire world agrees on the fact that we would rather skip the Olympics and give those money to someone who needs them. Don't they?
BUT; who needs awareness if we don't use the awareness to make a difference?
There are no intention on writing this text to get people to think: "oh, poor children. They don't have any food. But whatever, I am not willing to make a sacrifice in my life to help them". NO INTENTION!!